this useful report on how Pakistan's new 21st Amendment military courts will work. From it we learn:
- the new courts' jurisdiction will extend to terrorism, extortion, and kidnapping for ransom
- regular police will investigate cases, either alone or with military authorities
- the Interior Ministry can only send to military courts cases that have been approved for transfer by provincial authorities
- a Standard Operating Procedure has been developed
- military courts were inevitable because the state has been unable to provide the necessary security for civilian judges trying high-profile terrorism cases
Post a Comment
Comments are subject to moderation and must be submitted under your real name. Anonymous comments will not be posted (even though the form seems to permit them).