Of interest among the recommendations sent out for review:
- Right to counsel for those members facing non-judicial punishment
- Update the vessel exception to the right to reject non-judicial punishment, and restrict it to situations of operational necessity
- Legal representation at summary courts-martial
- Bar any commanding officer in the accused's chain of command from serving as a summary court-martial officer
- Added due process for personnel facing administrative separation but not entitled to an ADSEP board
- Improved compliance with Article 137, UCMJ, which requires periodic instruction on the punitive articles of the Code
- Improved and standardized military justice data collection
- Improved protections with regard to titling, indexing and expungement of investigative records
Secretary Hicks's memorandum notes that additional research remains to be done.
A consolidated assessment on the 17 recommendations is due in 120 days.