Thursday, August 20, 2020

Why I went to law school

In 1995, in the aftermath of a full military career (34 years), the Canadian government instituted a Commission of Inquiry into the deployment of the Airborne Regiment to Somalia. It dealt with allegations of misconduct, command failures and malformations of the military justice system. Driven by a desire to contribute to this review which could pave the way for essential reforms, I attended the hearings.

Disappointed to hear several of my former colleagues in their testimony resort to lapses in memory and dodging, I took part in the public debate. Over the months my disappointment turned to frustration as I realized more and more that even if the Commission were to succeed in exposing the serious shortcomings of the military justice system, I also knew that the military staff would nevertheless continue to have control of the change process. I wanted to play a role in this necessary transformation.

In 1996, I decided to follow in the footsteps of my son Daniel who already practices law. I am 53 years old and am entering law school. After completion of my articles of clerkship in the Federal Court of Appeal in 2002, I was admitted to the Bar of Ontario. I immediately opened a boutique law firm in Ottawa, walking distance from National Defence Headquarters specializing in military law. In 2009, I was also appointed adjunct Professor, Faculty of Law, University of Ottawa. Since then, I am taking part in the evolution of the Canadian military justice system, a slow but beneficial process. We have a way to go but smallas it is progress is being made.That is the important thing. Nil Sine Labore.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are subject to moderation and must be submitted under your real name. Anonymous comments will not be posted (even though the form seems to permit them).