here on the new Army/Marine Corps Commander's Handbook on the Law of Land Warfare. Excerpt:
Similar to the way Francis Lieber outlined the basic LOAC principles as he saw them at the time, the basic LOAC rules and principles applicable to Soldiers and Marines today can be summarized by the following basic Soldier’s Rules (see AR 350-1)/Marine Corps Basic Principles (see MCO 3300.4A), developed by Army and Marine judge advocates to train Soldiers and Marines to conform to LOAC standards applicable in all military operations:
- Fight only enemy combatants.
- Do not harm enemies who surrender. Disarm the enemy and turn them over to your superiors.
- Do not kill or torture enemy prisoners of war or other detainees.
- Collect and care for the wounded, whether friend or foe.
- Do not attack medical personnel, facilities, or equipment.
- Destroy no more than the mission requires.
- Treat all civilians humanely.
- Do not steal. Respect private property and possessions.
- Do your best to prevent violations of the law of war.
- Report all violations of the law of war to your superiors.